Thursday, December 7, 2017

Final Team Blog Post

As our semester is coming to a close, that means the TechCats blog is also coming to an end. We hope you’ve enjoyed reading through all of our blogs on various of topics like: IT security, uses of big data, agile methodology,and then how to retain special employees. Hopefully through these few posts it kept our readers up to date on current technological trends in the world and also sparked interest in them to do research on their own. As we come to a close, let's take a look at a recap of what all of our bloggers had to say.

Parker: My blog posts all had to do with IT security. Over the last few months the media has been really interested in IT security especially pertaining to our election. This media spotlight has really caught my attention and has inspired me to want to go into the field of IT security after I graduate. The more involved IT gets in our daily lives, the greater importance it is to protect our personal information. No system is perfect, everybody knows that. People will always be trying to find loopholes to exploit and to get access to information they shouldn't, like with the Equifax Data Breach that I blogged about. The field of IT security is constantly growing, and I hope to be apart of it one day. A small sample of this growth can be found in my first blog when I talked about HackerOne. HackerOne was a group of hackers that were paid to find loopholes in systems, then report them to the company so they could be fixed. Just this group alone has created over $20.2 million in revenues, and they expect it to grow to $200 million by 2020. Hopefully you enjoyed my blogs, thanks for reading.

Samantha: I really enjoyed getting the opportunity to dig deeper into aspects of IT and how management differs in that field. My posts covered the general topic of IT management, from the Agile methodology perspective to ways managers can improve employee morale and satisfaction. Everyone can be the best for the job for a day, week, or even months but if management doesn’t invest back into their employee’s productivity will decline tremendously. I can’t wait to get started with my career and use the skills and experience I’ve gained to help create a better working environment with motivated employees.

Maggie: As I researched more about some of the aspects and opportunities of Big Data, the more divided I realized the tech world is on this subject. While some claim that the idea of data analytics is the be-all end-all answer to all of life’s questions, some disagree. While I read articles and book excerpts about using data to solve problems like how to map the human genome and predict how cancers spread, I also found writers who don’t believe there is a single project that can truly lock down the specific data-to-end result chain of transactions. While this side of the argument recognize the usefulness of data, there are those who are less than impressed with the current applications of it and the publicity that it garners in the tech industry. Learning more specifics about the potentials in Big Data, as well as some of the less-than-starstruck opinions on the subject has been an interesting journey and has opened me up to a lot more resources in regards to technology news and information.

Overall, we hope this blog sparked some interest in people outside of our class to stay current in today's technological world. Being up to date on the latest technological advancements is becoming more important everyday as it becomes more and more intertwined into our daily lives. This fast paced technological world is upon us, and it's our job to stay educated on the latest trends.

Parker Fifield
Sam Zobel

Maggie Wilcoxon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-Driving Cars

Whenever I think about the idea of driverless cars, I always imagine explorers that lived hundreds of years ago and who were attempting to ...